[Rd] Documentation of colSums et. al (PR#4154)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Sep 15 17:01:58 MEST 2003

David Brahm  <brahm at alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Doug Grove <dgrove at fhcrc.org> wrote:
> > Minor mistake in the documentation on the colSums page.
> > In the ARGUMENTS section it states for 'dims' that:
> >    For `col*', the sum or mean is over dimensions
> >    `dims+1, ...'; for `row*' it is over dimensions `1:dims'.
> > These two are reversed.
>
> I think Doug is correct, isn't he?  For example, with a 5-dimensional array and
> dims=3, colSums() sums over the first 3 dimensions (the "rows") and produces a
> 2-dimensional result.  So the sum is over dimensions 1:dims.
>
> By the way, S-Plus (6.1.2) documentation is also incorrect; it says "colMeans
> is a 2 dimensional array consisting of the means across the last 3 dimensions"
> but it's really across the first 3 dimensions.
>
> So why has this bug report ended up in the "trashcan"?

Quite possibly, it got engulfed in spam... Thomas did the move along
with several spam messages, but Brian had already fixed the typo at
that point. The current text reads

    dims: Which dimensions are regarded as "rows" or "columns" to sum
          over.  For 'row*', the sum or mean is over dimensions
          'dims+1, ...'; for 'col*' it is over dimensions '1:dims'.