[Rd] Meta information in packages in pre-2.0.0

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 08:56:26 CEST 2004

We are intending to include a lot more pre-computed information with an
installed package in 2.0.0, and to force all packages to be reinstalled
under 2.0.0.

This causes a problem with R-devel pre-2.0.0, which stamps packages as
having been installed under the future 2.0.0.  As of today we have changed
the format of the meta-information file 'Meta/package.rds', and you should
either reinstall packages under R-devel (a good idea if they were not
installed in August) or run

tools:::.update_package_rds()

(it has a lib.loc argument, so can be run a library at a time).  Even the
standard and recommended packages need to be updated unless you are
building from scratch.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk