[Rd] The Depends: field of a package is now used by library()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 13:33:11 CEST 2004

To close off this thread --

After various offline discussions we have adopted the new field Imports:
(thanks, Martin Maechler, for the name) which should list namespaces that
are required to load the package (via imports in the NAMESPACE file or use
of :: or :::) but do not need to be attached as packages.

Depends: should be used for packages that need to be attached before the
current package, and should be disjoint from Imports.