[Rd] R 1.9.1 fails to install for Mac 10.2.8 (PR#7190)

Steven C. Bagley sbagley at ucla.edu
Fri Aug 20 01:20:45 CEST 2004

> On Aug 19, 2004, at 6:30 PM, sbagley at ucla.edu wrote:
>
>> Was running R 1.9.0 on iMac (10.2.8) without problems.  Tried to run
>> installer
>> for 1.9.1, but this stops after only several seconds, saying "There
>> were
>> problems installing the software." Problem is repeatable, even after
>> repairing file permissions.
>
> This is repeatable only in your setup and if you really "repaired"
> permissions of R.framework it would go away ;) [Apple's DU doesn't do
> that AFAIR]. It seems that your R 1.9.0 uses different rights than
> 1.9.1 which (depending on how you installed 1.9.0) may prevent the
> 1.9.1 installer from having sufficient rights to delete the old
> version. The easiest way to solve this is to run
> sudo rm -rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework
> in the Terminal, thus removing old R manually. Another possible fix is
> to bump up the authentication requirement of the installer from "admin"
> to "root" by editing the Info.plist ... which should be only done if
> you know what you're doing ;). We could do that in general if that
> bites more people...
>
> Cheers,
> Simon

Thanks for your quick reply.  Unfortunately, I tried the "sudo rm ...",
followed by reinstallation of R 1.9.1, which got nearly all the way through
the installation process, and then stopped with an error.  Log file follows:

R 1.9.1 Installation Log
    Target Selection
        _volumeAppeared: Adding volume Macintosh HD
        deactivate: removing all cells from _volumeMatrix
    Selected volume "Macintosh HD"
        Mounted at: /
        OpenFirmware: mac-io/ata-4 at 1f000/@0:5
        Partition type: HFS+
        Partition map: disk0s5
        Partition: 5
        Protocol: ATA
        Media Type: Generic
        Volume Size: 80019709952
    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on ./Library - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: ./Library - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on ./Library/Frameworks - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: ./Library/Frameworks - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on ./Library/Frameworks - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: ./Library/Frameworks - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on ./Library - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: ./Library - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: . - Operation not permitted

    Some files for R framework may not have been written correctly.
    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Could not set
permissions on . - Operation not permitted

    ERROR:Could not set file attributes. - pax: error 1:Access/modification
time set failed on: . - Operation not permitted

    Some files for libxml2 may not have been written correctly.
    Registered /Applications/R.app.
    ln:
    /usr/bin/R
    :
    Permission denied
    The postflight script in R framework failed.
    Install Failed
    Error detected
    Name: NSGenericException
    Reason: The postflight script in R framework failed. (code 1)