[Rd] R 1.9.1 fails to install for Mac 10.2.8 (PR#7190)

Simon Urbanek Simon.Urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Aug 20 16:02:55 CEST 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 1:20 AM, Steven C. Bagley wrote:

> Thanks for your quick reply.  Unfortunately, I tried the "sudo rm ...",
> followed by reinstallation of R 1.9.1, which got nearly all the way
> through
> the installation process, and then stopped with an error.  Log file
> follows:

According to the log R was installed allright - so does it in fact work
or not?

AFAICS it just doesn't have enough rights to create the convenience
symlink in /usr/bin, but that's not essential for R to work. Again the
fix in your case would be to bump up the rights of the installer -
admin doesn't seem to have enough rights on your computer.
I don't have a Jag machine here (there are no problems on Panther
AFAIK) to confirm it atm, but I suspect that the cause is the old R
1.9.0 installer, which forced owner change on folders it shouldn't have
touched. This was fixed in the new installer (that is the new installer
doesn't force ownership anymore), but it cannot reverse the changes
made by the 1.9.0 installer. I'll dig out some old Jag machine and see
if I can reproduce it... but again, bumping up the rights should fix it
in any case.

If you want to try it out, just for the fun of it, do the following:
open the R.dmg, go to the Packages folder and drag the "R
framework.pkg" to your desktop.
Now copy/paste the following in Terminal:
cd Desktop/R\ framework.pkg/Contents/
chmod +w Info.plist
open Info.plist

Now you'll see a tree-like structure of the plist file - expand the
branches and find the "IFPkgFlagAuthorizationAction" key with
"AdminAuthorization" value - change that value to "RootAuthorization",
save the file (cmd+s) and double-click on the "R framework.pkg" file.
That should perform the R installation without errors. Since I don't
know what goes on with the libxml package, you could try it on that
one, too.

Cheers,
Simon

---
Simon Urbanek
Department of computer oriented statistics and data analysis
University of Augsburg
Universitätsstr. 14
86135 Augsburg
Germany