[Rd] Changes to correct problems with classes in namespaces

John Chambers jmc at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Aug 24 21:21:57 CEST 2004

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> John,
>
> Looks like several packages are failing to dump or load with messages like
> (SparseM)
>
> Error in warning("Undefined slot classes in definition of \"",
> classDef at className,  :
>         Object "classDef" not found
>
> So far I have seen this with SparseM, dynamicGraph (and hence deal and
> gRbase).  Should that be `ClassDef'?

It should.  Thanks.

> And is this a new error detected?

You mean a new test?  Yes, there's a sufficient chance of a typo-- that
the user didn't really mean to insert an undefined class as a slot --
that a warning (not an errorr) seems desirable.  (S3 classes are fine as
slots, but unless setOldClass  is used they can't be verified.)

John

John M. Chambers                  jmc at bell-labs.com
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies    office: (908)582-2681
700 Mountain Avenue, Room 2C-282  fax:    (908)582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ  07974            web: http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/~jmc