[Rd] No window graphics on new binary installation for Mac OS 10.3 (PR#7428)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 17 17:31:50 CET 2004

    BillC> I loaded the binary for R, and most things work fine.
    BillC> The plot command defaults to a postscript file.  If I
    BillC> type X11(), I get a message the X11 failed to load.
    BillC> However if I type capabilities(what="X11") I get TRUE
    BillC> back.

    BillC> What do I need to do to get X11 to load properly or
    BillC> to get screen plots?

-  quartz() is I think what the mac lovers love.
-  For X11() you need to start an X server on the Mac for which
   there's a button to click.

I know this primarily from reading the R-SIG-Mac mailing list,
a mailing list for (development/testing) of Mac specifics.

Tiag Magalhaes also recently had your problem and solved and
posted a summary / "installation instruction" of it.
It's in the archives at
     https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2004-December/001487.html

BTW:  This is not bug of R (``in our sense'' ;-)

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich