[Rd] No window graphics on new binary installation for Mac OS 10.3 (PR#7427)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at math.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Dec 17 18:10:37 CET 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 11:00 AM, wcleveland at pobox.com wrote:

> I loaded the binary for R, and most things work fine. The plot command
> defaults to a postscript file. If I type X11(), I get a message the
> X11 failed to load. However if I type capabilities(what="X11") I get
> TRUE back.
>
> What do I need to do to get X11 to load properly or to get screen
> plots?

The binary on CRAN works fine with Apple's X11. Assuming you have that
one installed (it comes with OS X, but is by default not selected in
the installer) [or you're using R remotely], you can either run R right
from the xterm or, if running from the Terminal, make sure you have the
DISPLAY variable set and X11 server is running.

You can run the R Cocoa GUI instead (/Applications/R) and get the
Mac-native Quartz device ...

If you still have problems, please tell us more precisely about your
setup (which X11, how do you start R etc.).

Cheers,
Simon