[Rd] R and Gnumeric?

Mon Dec 20 19:40:23 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 12:31 -0500, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2004, at 10:20 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > I was just curious if anyone from R Core might comment on the
> nature
> > and
> > scope of the cooperation, as I could not find anything at the
> Gnumeric
> > web site on this.
>
> I don't know about that, either, but as of R and Gnumeric i know that
> Duncan was working on a  package for that:
> http://www.omegahat.org/RGnumeric/
> However, I didn't test it myself, but you may want to give it a shot.

Simon,

Thanks for your reply. I was aware of RGnumeric, though have not used
it. When I was still working under Windows, I had played around with the
Windows R-(D)COM tools to enable R to be called from Excel. I never used
it for anything specific, but just to get a feel for the integration. It
worked quite well.

I took the Gnumeric statement to strictly refer to Gnumeric's internal
functions, not the ability to call R from within Gnumeric.

I virtually never use spreadsheets, with essentially one exception and
that is that I created an expense report template for myself, which
makes it easy for accounting purposes to track things (ie. travel) for
reimbursement.

> > In light of the recent discussions on Excel, this might provide more
> > substantive incentive for those who find themselves needing to use
> > spreadsheets to consider Gnumeric*. Since it is also available under
> > Windows, though not yet Mac OS as far as I can tell, some level of
> > cross
> > platform functionality is available.
>
> I'd be very surprised if Gnumeric didn't compile on OS X - there may
> be
> no native port, but the X11 version should work on OS X (if in doubt,
> check fink and darwinports).

I don't use nor do I have access to a Mac. The comments on any
limitations here were purely based upon the fact that there was not a
download at the Gnumeric site specifically for Mac OS. Needless to say,
that someone could easily download and compile the application from
source, presuming that any GUI issues could be readily resolved. Your
comments suggest that might not be a showstopper issue.

Thanks,

Marc