[Rd] Spelling (PR#6570)

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 11 04:14:27 MET 2004

On Tuesday 10 February 2004 20:25, Roger D. Peng wrote:
> Unfortunately, with English it's conceivable that they're both
> correct.  But the double 't' sounds/looks *more* correct to me.
> Of course, this is coming from a native English speaker who is
> generally unfamiliar with the rules of English.
>
> On the other hand:
>
> test --> testable?
> arrest --> arrestable?
> contest --> contestable?
> detest --> detestable?
>
> So maybe the single 't' is correct.  Did that clear things up?

This is probably not a valid comparison, since test->testing whereas
set->setting.

Oxford (OED) lists the word 'settable' but not 'setable'. subsettable (or
subsetable) is obviously an artificial word (we use subset as a verb), but
presumably invented derivatives of 'subset' should behave in a manner similar
to those of 'set'.

Deepayan