[Rd] Re: [R] Is there a way to deactivate partial matching in R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 14:36:11 MET 2004

[Moved to R-devel, as that is where `wishlist' items fit best.]

It is not currently possible.  Furthermore, the R base code is riddled
with uses of partial argument matching (check out the uses of rep(), for
example) and partial list matching, although from time to time I try to
eradicate a bunch of them.

I don't see why in programatic uses of R you cannot always guarantee exact
matching (which will always win), if necessary by having ... as the first
formal argument to your function.  Can you give us an example of the need
to disable partial matching?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk