[Rd] Packages in R & Java

Marsland, John John.Marsland at CommerzbankIB.com
Fri Feb 27 15:13:48 MET 2004

Yes, lots of packages do use C/Fortran code ... it would be great if there
were more packages that are "pure R" especially since the advent of S4
classes and namespaces.

Is it worth suggesting that we create a designation "pure R" for packages
that have no external source code and encourage more of these? Indeed, now
the number of packages is so big could they be classified to aid potential
users?

Going back to the original question, it strikes me that C/Fortran code is
most often used to interface to other code - there would be a better way of
doing this in a Java environment - or to speed up existing R code - where
loops are usually the cause of the speed problem and the introduction Java
bytecode would presumably be helpful anyway. Surely there could be some sort
of process to generate automated jni bindings?

I don't think a Java implementation of the R parser is as bigger task as it
seems ... much of the work to get an interpreted scripting language working
could be taken from the Jython project?

Regards,

John