[Rd] make fails with utf-8 locale, RH9 (PR#6958)

eweese at bank-banque-canada.ca eweese at bank-banque-canada.ca
Fri Jul 2 18:59:16 CEST 2004

I don't know enough to be sure that this is a related problem, but it
looks similar...

I just compiled 1.9.1 on sparc-sun-solaris, and ld would do

collect2: ld terminated with signal 11 [Segmentation Fault], core dumped

in ./configure.  This is because LC_CTYPE was set to C.  If I deleted
that line, leaving LC_CTYPE at its standard setting of
"en_CA.ISO8859-1", ld worked fine.  If I try to compile a simple program
with LC_CTYPE=C, it works fine with

$ gcc prog.c

but ld breaks if I do

$ gcc prog.c -lm

Anyways, I'm not sure whether this is an R problem, or an autoconf
problem, or what, but I thought I would try here first...

Thanks.