[Rd] Bug in Make or configure: spaces in path (PR#7068)

williams.elliot at bls.gov williams.elliot at bls.gov
Thu Jul 8 01:50:16 CEST 2004

Full_Name: Elliot Williams
Version: 1.9.1
OS: Linux
Submission from: (NULL) (146.142.53.18)

Hi,

The usual configure/make procedure hangs when there is a space in the pathname.

For instance, I had R in "/home/elliot/R Software/R-1.9.1/" and make complained
that it couldn't find "Software/R-1.9.1/".  Changing the directory to R_Software
resolved the problem.

This is a small problem, but it might bite new linux users who like to use
spaces in directory names and don't know that it can cause troubles.

Note that this is similar to a bug about commas in filepaths, number 5536.  I do
not, however, expect the earth.  :-)

       Elliot.