[Rd] Bug in Make or configure: spaces in path (PR#7068)

maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 8 11:36:46 CEST 2004

    williams> Full_Name: Elliot Williams Version: 1.9.1 OS:
    williams> Linux Submission from: (NULL) (146.142.53.18)

    williams> Hi,

    williams> The usual configure/make procedure hangs when
    williams> there is a space in the pathname.

    williams> For instance, I had R in "/home/elliot/R
    williams> Software/R-1.9.1/" and make complained that it
    williams> couldn't find "Software/R-1.9.1/".  Changing the
    williams> directory to R_Software resolved the problem.

    williams> This is a small problem, but it might bite new
    williams> linux users who like to use spaces in directory
    williams> names and don't know that it can cause troubles.

Hmm, I think these new users should rather learn that it
probably *will* cause much too much trouble and stop using
spaces in file names....  {well, I can hear some people scream,
but that's my humble opinion}.

    williams> Note that this is similar to a bug about commas in
    williams> filepaths, number 5536.  I do not, however, expect
    williams> the earth.  :-)

I'm waiting for others to comment, but I wouldn't consider this
a bug. Just don't use "crazy" directory names ("," or non-ASCII
accents..) since this will bite you eventually anyway (i.e. not
only with R), e.g. using an accented char, or Umlaut and moving your directory
tree to a locale where these characters are not valid or at
least not displayed usually.

Martin