[Rd] bug in xyplot xlab, etc (PR#7076)

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sun Jul 11 14:42:12 CEST 2004

rmh at temple.edu wrote:

> # Your mailer is set to "none" (default on Windows),
> # hence we cannot send the bug report directly from R.
> # Please copy the bug report (after finishing it) to
> # your favorite email program and send it to
> #
> #       r-bugs at r-project.org
> #
> ######################################################
>

> This looks to me like a bug in xyplot and friends.  I anticipated
> that all three of these xyplot statements would work.  This is based
> on the documentation line
>
>>The 'label' tag can be omitted if it is the first element of the list.
>

>>x <- 1:10
>>y <- 1:10
>>xyplot(y ~ x, xlab=list("abcd", cex=2))  ## works as intended
>>xyplot(y ~ x, xlab=list(label="abcd"))   ## works as intended
>>xyplot(y ~ x, xlab=list("abcd"))         ## error message
>
> Error in if (is.list(label) && names(label)[1] == "") label[[1]] else default.label :
> 	missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed

Let me also point out that the documentation (?xy.plot from lattice) is
like some of those german bureaucreatic documents:

   ylab  Fine control possible, see entry for xlab.
   xlab  Fine control is possible, see entry for sub.
   sub   See entry for main for finer control options.

Deepayan might want to point to "main" from all of these ....

Best,
Uwe

BTW: Is it the correct way to submit bug reports on recommended packages
to the R's bug repository? Instead, I would have send it to Deepayan as
the maintainer of lattice (maybe a point that is not entirely clear from
the FAQs: distinguishing contributed, recommended and base package
related to bug reports).