[Rd] Help Documentation

ivo welch ivo.welch at yale.edu
Mon Mar 29 15:28:50 CEST 2004

hi henrik (all):  A better solution would be to have levels:
set.help(level="beginner"), which then provides expanded explanations.

However, I do not think this is necessary: For the most part, the online
R docs are great.  It is not more detailed explanations that beginners
crave.  My primary wishes arise as I stumble onto a need, and then wish
for a few more examples of different usage, a few more cross-references
to other functions, and the rare additional help page (exit, delete
(explains data frame row and col del), insert (same thing)).  The first
two are usually literally one-liners, and unlikely to clutter up much.
The latter is pretty easy, too.

If considered helpful by the R developers, I would try to learn Rd to
submit doc changes.  Alas, my feeling is that the reception would be
pretty cold ("not needed = redundant = no").  Is there someone "in
charge of" docs that I can ask whether this is in principle welcome?

Would it be useful to add to the R Bug Report submission web page a
pulldown field that classifies suggestions, one of which being
"documentation enhancement", so that Prof Ripley won't complain about
having to read these?  Maybe another pull-down field that classifies
error severity?

regards, /iaw