[Rd] Solution to problem running R 1.8.1 on Windows XP (PR#7357)

RichardP at DFO-MPO.GC.CA RichardP at DFO-MPO.GC.CA
Wed Nov 10 22:19:40 CET 2004

This is a bug apparently caused by Windows XP's interaction with R.

I was getting an error message when running C:\Program
Files\R\rw1081\bin\Rgui.exe.  Odly enough, his problem was happening only
when I was not connected to the network using my ethernet connection.

Using Google, I found the same error described on a thread (see attached)
as:

> The R installation is fine on Windows XP, but when I started to open the R
> program, then it pops out this message:
>
> "R for Windows GUI front-end has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We
> are sorry for the inconvenience....."
>
> The error signature is:
>
> AppName: rgui.exe	 AppVer: 1.71.30616.0	 ModName: r.dll
> ModVer: 1.71.30616.0	 Offset: 0002966e

There was a hint in that message that screen resolution might be the culprit
so I checked my Display settings and changed the setting of my second
(external) monitor (which was not attached) 's resolution from 32 bit to 8
bit.   I have not had a problem since.  Weird but it works!?

P.S.: The primary display device is still set at 32 bits.

Cheers,

Pierre Richard
RichardP at dfo-mpo.gc.ca