[Rd] Building Packages on Windows using .Rbuildignore (PR#7379)

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Thu Nov 18 18:24:54 CET 2004

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:38:47 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
> <ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote :
>

>>DIFFERENCE BETWEEN USING .RBUILDIGNORE AND NOT
>>
>>The reason that the processing is different according to whether one
>>uses .Rbuildignore or not is that
>> R CMD build
>>takes the .Rbuildignore file into account but
>> R CMD install
>> R CMD check
>> R CMD build --binary
>>do not take .Rbuildignore into account.
>

> Okay, now I understand.  I think I'd call the last of those a bug, and
> it would seem to me that the install and check scripts should also
> respect this directive.   I've now copied this to the r-bugs list.
> (This was reported for Windows; I don't know if it applies to other
> platforms as well.)
>
> Just for clarification:  I can see you would use this when you have
> S-PLUS code in the same directory as R code, and you don't want to
> include that in an R build.  Are there other files that must be
> excluded?

I'm not sure if you meant this as a Windows question. On Unix/Linux:
CVS for sure, and if you run things in you source directly and
occassionaly get core dumps then it is pretty import to ignore them or
you get very large packages. (Yes it would be better to clean up.) I
also ignore several files that get generate compiling src code, or in
some cases files that generate things that are included (For example, I
generate man from a mansrc directory.) My  .Rbuildignore is

^Makefile$
(^|.*/)core$
(^|.*/)run$
(^|.*/)zot$