[Rd] \link{} to help pages in Debian

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 30 18:56:08 CET 2004

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Iago Mosqueira wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 09:20, Martin Maechler wrote:
>
>> not at all!
>> We have been working with several libraries "forever",
>> and I think I have n't seen your problem ever.
>
> I have detected it only in one package, which happens to conatin links
> to base and graphics. It seems they are generated at install time simply
> by assuming the root of all packages is the same.

Yes, and it is true as they are all linked to the same tree when
help.start is run.  You do need the alternative trees to be in your
.libPath() at that time.

> Obviously this is not a problem in Windows, where all packages appear to
> be installed, at least by default, in the same tree.

Only by default, just as by default they are under Linux, so `obviously'
you don't know what happens under either.  Is Windows relevant here (the
picture is a lot more complicated there)?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk