[Rd] Re: [R] installing on alpha (tru64)

Alexa Sorant ajms at mail.nih.gov
Sat Oct 2 18:08:24 CEST 2004

Dear Martin Maechler and/or R-devel,

>I'm reverting to R-devel.  Please *never* direct such topics to
>individuals unless they invite you particularly to it.

My original email was to a group list.  I later "replied" to email
received.  I'm sorry if that was the wrong thing to do.

>I don't know for sure, but I doubt that it would be difficult to
>get a working GNU make on Tru64 .. though that may not be the
>important thing at the moment.

I have obtained and built the GNU make.  This gets me much farther along in
the installation process.
That is, I no longer get the error message:
         Make:  cannot open /share/make/vars.mk.  Stop.

But now I get errors from "make check" and "make check FORCE=FORCE" with
R-1.9.1 and earlier (from "make") with R-2.0.0 (today's version).

>We may need more details (e.g., output of 'configure' ; exact error message).

Attached are archives with output from the latest two trials, both using
GNU make.

>Have you followed my advice below and installed into a different
>*build* directory ?
>Please reply to R-devel.

I tried, but that made no difference to my problem.  The attached R-1.9.1
results are not from that trial, but the R-2.0.0 results were obtained this
way.

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Alexa

Alexa J. M. Sorant
NIH/NHGRI
333 Cassell Drive Suite 2000