[Rd] Re: [R] installing on alpha (tru64)

M. Edward Borasky znmeb at aracnet.com
Sat Oct 2 18:44:19 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-02 at 09:08, Alexa Sorant wrote:

> I have obtained and built the GNU make.  This gets me much farther along in
> the installation process.
> That is, I no longer get the error message:
>          Make:  cannot open /share/make/vars.mk.  Stop.
>
> But now I get errors from "make check" and "make check FORCE=FORCE" with
> R-1.9.1 and earlier (from "make") with R-2.0.0 (today's version).

That's what happened to me when in previous builds when I didn't specify
"without-blas". When I specified "without-blas" in the configure step,
"make check" passed. If I can get VPN to work, I can grab the build
scripts I used on Tru64 4.0f. BTW, one other thing to check is whether
you have System V emulation. I did, and I had to play some games with
the PATH settings to get anything to work. As I noted in my previous
e-mail, I essentially built the whole GNU toolchain from scratch (make,
binutils and GCC) and used that to build R. I also had to rebuild Perl
from scratch; our version of Perl was too old for R.

I haven't tried to build R 2.0.0 on Tru64; the project where I use R on
Alpha was frozen with the build I did in January.