[Rd] .First.lib and namespaces

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 08:11:06 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> The lattice package has a namespace, so it has a .onLoad function. I
> also keep around a .First.lib, for use during development, when I
> temporarily delete the NAMESPACE file.
>
> When using a namespace, I used to comment out the .First.lib function.
> However, that seems unnecessary since it's not executed anyway. Is this
> intended (and dependable) behaviour?

Yes.

> (If so, this should probably be mentioned in ?library, which currently
> says
>
>      '.First.lib' is called when a package is loaded; '.Last.lib' is
>      called when a package is detached.
>
> without any mention of namespaces).

[.Last.lib is called when a package with a namespace is detached.]

Indeed, but see `Writing R Extensions', under `Load hooks', and

Various @R{} functions in a package can be used to initialize and clean
up.  For packages without a name space, these are @code{.First.lib} and
@code{.Last.lib}.  (For packages with a name space, @xref{Load hooks}.)

I'll update library.Rd to mention this and user hooks.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk