[Rd] having trouble building r-devel

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Wed Sep 8 08:24:19 CEST 2004

Hi Duncan

Thanks but... that doesn't seem to be it. I've upgraded Perl to 5.8 and the problem is still there.

The error seems to be this: the "make" operation in R2.0.0 wants to use the *just-built* R.exe in the search path when it gets to the "Making package base" stage. But unless the user has modified their search path to include R-DEVEL\BIN before calling "make" (and made sure this comes before any other R BIN directories), the R.exe won't be found (on my Windows 2000 machine, anyway). I encountered the following:

When I set PATH to start with C:\R\R-devel\bin, "make" works OK.

When I leave PATH at its usual value that starts with C:\R\R-1.9.0\bin, "make" gives me this:

---------- Making package base ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
Error in get(x, envir, mode, inherits) : variable ".install_package_description" was not found
Execution halted

When I rename C:\R\R-1.9.0 so that there's no copy of R.exe in the PATH, "make" gave me this:

---------- Making package base ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
R: not found

When I set PATH to start with a dot (looking at the INSTALL file section on "Check your path"), "make" fails again with the ".install_package_description" error.

So it looks like either (i) the documentation should be changed to tell the user to reset the path manually (and NB the dot isn't useful for Windows 2000), or preferably (ii) "make" needs to temporarily change the search path, or to look more explicitly for the new R.exe file. Or I've gotten my wires crossed...

Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO (CMIS)
PO Box 1538