[Rd] having trouble building r-devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 8 08:48:13 CEST 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:

> When I set PATH to start with a dot (looking at the INSTALL file section
> on "Check your path"), "make" fails again with the
> ".install_package_description" error.
>
> So it looks like either (i) the documentation should be changed to tell
> the user to reset the path manually (and NB the dot isn't useful for
> Windows 2000),

It was when I ran Windows 2000.  What's wrong for you?

> or preferably (ii) "make" needs to temporarily change the
> search path, or to look more explicitly for the new R.exe file. Or I've
> gotten my wires crossed...

The latter.  Try commenting out

# path (possibly full path) to same version of R on the host system
# R_EXE=R
^^

in MkRules.  It's uncommented there from experiments with cross-compiling.
Works for me.

BTW, getting R-devel to cross-compile has been a nightmare, but has been
achieved.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk