[Rd] Problems with Rcmd check in rw2000dev

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 06:23:26 CEST 2004

Your subject is I think misleading as you say

> Just checked: Running Rcmd check under rw1091 gives exactly the same error.

So it appears to be a problem with your package.  The version of
SenSrivastava on CRAN does work for me on current rw2000dev.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> Hola!
>
> I am doing some minimal changes on the package SenSrivastava to make it
> fit for
> R2.0.0  (This package passed Rcmd check on earlier versions of R,
> and are passing the CRAN daily checks!) I am using
> rw2000dev from CRAN. Now i get (running in an Xemacs shell):
>
> installing R.css in C:/R/rw2000dev/src/gnuwin32/SenSrivastava.Rcheck
>

> ---------- Making package SenSrivastava ------------
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   no R files in this package
>   installing data files
>   installing man source files
>   installing indices
> Error: restore file may be from a newer version of R -- no data loaded
> Execution halted
> make[2]: *** [indices] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [pkg-SenSrivastava] Error 2
> *** Installation of SenSrivastava failed ***
>
> Removing 'C:/R/rw2000dev/src/gnuwin32/SenSrivastava.Rcheck/SenSrivastava'
>
> Just checked: Running Rcmd check under rw1091 gives exactly the same error.
>
> What does it mean: Error: restore file may be from a newer version of R
> -- no data loaded
> especially running under rw2000dev this doesn't seem to make sense!

It means a file which you are asking it to load() cannot be loaded.  Since
this is in the indices, it means one of your data/*.Rdata files, I
believe.  What it is actually telling you is that it started reading the
file and got RD followed by something it did not understand, a format
reserved for future formats.

My guess is that a binary .RData file has been transferred in text mode.
It's a pity the error message does not tell us the file name.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk