[Rd] Rcmd problems and questions, lazyloading

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Sun Sep 19 04:31:13 CEST 2004

Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
>> Hola!
>>
>> I got past the problems I asked about two days ago, thanks. No I am
>> updating
>> CRAN package asypow (the daily package check on CRAN gave warnings
>> due to
>> .Rd problems, fixed).
>>
>> Now it PASSED Rcmd check
>> (WindowsXP home edition, rw2000dev, on a new toshiba laptop, if that
>> matters.)
>>
>> but then Rcmd build --binary
>

> Kjetil,
> works for me with the asypow 1.0, R-2.0.0 alpha (2004-09-16).
>
> Which version of R (I mean the date, a lot of stuff changed during the
> last 2 weeks re. lazy loading and related bug fixes on Windows)?
>
> If it still does not work with a recent alpha version, please send me
> the source package.

OK, just downloaded latest rw2000dev, but before installing, trying what
you says below:

> What happens if you try
>    R CMD INSTALL --build

With LazyLoad   TRUE this gives the same error:

  preparing package asypow for lazy loading
Error in tools:::.read_description(file) :
    file '/DESCRIPTION' does not exist
Execution halted
make: *** [lazyload] Error 1
*** Installation of asypow failed ***

Again, with LazyLoad  FALSE, it works. (This is rw2000dev dated
2004-09-13).

Then installing todays build:   (dated  2004-09-17)

(again LazyLoad TRUE)
-- passes Rcmd check
But again the same problem with Rcmd build --binary

 preparing package asypow for lazy loading
Error in tools:::.read_description(file) :
    file '/DESCRIPTION' does not exist
Execution halted
make: *** [lazyload] Error 1
*** Installation of asypow failed ***

Removing 'C:/DOCUME~1/HALVOR~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/Rbuild.2760/asypow'
 ERROR
* installation failed

Again, R CMD INSTALL --build  ..\library\asypow
gives exactly the same error message.

Changing to LazyLoad FALSE
the problems disappear.

There is probably something with the package hindering lazyloading, but
it is still strange
that it passes "Rcmd check" when a binary package cannot be built.

Kjetil Halvorsen

--

Kjetil Halvorsen.

Peace is the most effective weapon of mass construction.
               --  Mahdi Elmandjra