[Rd] patch to add a menu item in Rgui for RSiteSearch

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Wed Apr 13 14:50:55 CEST 2005

I believe that is the official search page as it is linked from the main
BioConductor webpage www.bioconductor.org as 'Searchable Mail Archives'
under 'Project' on the left pane. It is maintained by Istvan Albert
(iua1 at psu.edu) who might be able to provide more information.

It would be nice to have the BioConductor mailing archives under
Jonathon Baron's page for comprehensiveness but I am not sure how much
extra work this would be and if he is willing to do so.

Otherwise, here are two functions that may get around this

 BiocSiteSearch <- function( string ){
   # Searches query 'string' on the BioConductor searchable mail archive
   prefix <- "http://files.protsuggest.org/cgi-bin/biocond.cgi?search="
   string <- paste( prefix, gsub(" ", "+", string), sep = "")
   browseURL( string )
 }

And then perhaps generalise to

 online.search <- function( string, archive, ... ){

   archive <- pmatch( toupper( arhive ),
                      c("R", "BIOCONDUCTOR", "OMEGAHAT" )

   if(is.na(archive)) stop("Invalid value for 'archive'")

   qstring <- switch ( archive,
                              1 = RSiteSearch(string),
                              2 = BiocSiteSearch(string),
                              3 = OmegaSiteSearch(string)