[Rd] A 'true' R-wrapper for C++ classes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Apr 18 10:08:24 CEST 2005

> Hello
>
> I am trying to wrap some C++ classes into R.
>
> (1) Comparing the OOP and methods packages, I have came to this conclusion
> that OOP works much better for this wrapper -- please correct me if I am
> wrong.

The methods package using a different conceptual model of object-oriented
programming than C++ uses, one based on generic functions
rather than methods being defined within classes.  You should also look at
the R.oo package for another way to do what you want.

> One question is why this useful package (OOP) is not included in
> the
> official release of R?

There are a lot of useful packages that aren't in R.  They can't all be.

Another question is why OOP is not on CRAN.  This would be because its
author (John Chambers) thought Omegahat.org was a better place to put it
(assuming you're talking about that OOP).

The rest of your message contained a lot of repeated copies of the same
text.  I didn't read it all, so might have missed something new hidden in
there.

Duncan Murdoch