[Rd] A 'true' R-wrapper for C++ classes

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 11:20:57 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Ali - wrote:

> I am trying to wrap some C++ classes into R.
>
> (1) Comparing the OOP and methods packages, I have came to this conclusion
> that OOP works much better for this wrapper -- please correct me if I am
> wrong. One question is why this useful package (OOP) is not included in the
> official release of R?

Quick answer: almost nothing else makes use of it.  The `methods' package
is depended on by 27 CRAN packages and most BioC packages.  The OOP
package is not even on CRAN (although it once was as part of Omegahat).

The official release of R contains packages that are thought to be of high
quality, actively maintained and useful to a wide range of R users.  And
those are necessary conditions, not sufficient ones -- an at least
historic criterion was to fill out coverage of the S Blue and White books
and the sort of statistics covered by MASS (the book).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk