[Rd] S4 generating function

John Chambers jmc at R-project.org
Fri Aug 5 21:18:50 CEST 2005

Re:
 > If I understand your description correctly, the problem is
 > passing both named and unnamed arguments to callNextMethod().

No, as I said the distinction is a potential bug in callNextMethod
_whenever_ it gets explicit arguments.  (At the moment, it seems to be a
bug in substitute() or else a different interpretation of that function
from the one in the Blue Book.  But I've only looked a little.)

So to work around it you have to be able to do callNextMethod() with no
arguments.

Just at a guess, you may be able to do that if you avoid redefining the
formal arguments for the initialize() method.  Leave them as .Object,
... and extract the id= component.
   dotArgs <- list(...)
   id <- dotArgs$id

Or, wait for a fix.  There should at least be one in r-devel sometime
fairly soon.