[Rd] TCITex and R

Mark.Bravington@csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Tue Aug 23 07:23:27 CEST 2005

Several times my packages have fallen foul of the latex check at the
uploading-to-CRAN stage, creating extra work for Kurt Hornik. I've never
bothered trying to get latex working on my own packages (happy with
vanilla help) but am told that "latex is the closest thing to a syntax
checker for Rd files" and that I should set it up. Now, there is already
a latex on my (Windows XP) system thanks to the program Scientific Word,
which comes with TCITex. However, RCMD etc don't recognize this latex at
the moment. Does anyone have any advice on what might be needed to make
RCMD use SciWord's installation of TCITex-- paths, environment
variables, etc etc?

Various R docs recommend fptex or MikTex implementations of latex, but
I'm a bit reluctant to put these on, primarily in case doing so somehow
stuffs up the workings of Scientific Word in a way that I don't know
enough to fix. In case it's not obvious already, I should add that I am
blissfully ignorant about how latex works-- that's one of my reasons for
using Scientific Word.

Thanks for any advice

Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS