[Rd] TCITex and R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 23 12:26:52 CEST 2005

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au wrote:
> Several times my packages have fallen foul of the latex check at the
> uploading-to-CRAN stage, creating extra work for Kurt Hornik. I've never
> bothered trying to get latex working on my own packages (happy with
> vanilla help) but am told that "latex is the closest thing to a syntax
> checker for Rd files" and that I should set it up. Now, there is already
> a latex on my (Windows XP) system thanks to the program Scientific Word,
> which comes with TCITex. However, RCMD etc don't recognize this latex at
> the moment. Does anyone have any advice on what might be needed to make
> RCMD use SciWord's installation of TCITex-- paths, environment
> variables, etc etc?

I have no experience with TCITex, but what you need to do is make sure
the commands that R needs are on your path.  Those include "latex",
"pdflatex", and possibly others I've forgotten:  try building a binary
copy of your package and you'll get errors if you haven't got them in place.

You also need that TCITex follows the usual practice of using an
environment variable to accept additional directories to search.  MikTex
doesn't, and it causes lots of trouble for people.  This is the main
reason I haven't recommended MikTex over fptex even though I use it;
MikTex seems less stable about its interface.

Duncan Murdoch