[Rd] Writing R-extensions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 14:55:27 CEST 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Berwin A Turlach wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> After reading through "Writing R Extensions", Version 2.1.1
> (2005-06-20), I thought the the following points might need
> clarifications or corrections.  (I checked that these comments also
> hold for "Writing R Extensions", Version 2.2.0.)

[...]

> 2) The description of the `inst' subdirectory states:
>
>        Subdirectories of @file{inst} should not interfere with those
>        used by R (currently, @file{R}, @file{data}, @file{demo},
>        @file{exec}, @file{libs}, @file{man}, @file{help},
>        @file{html}, @file{latex}, @file{R-ex}, and @file{Meta}).
>
>   And I wonder whether this list is incomplete.  Should not, with the
>   introduction of localisation, at least @file{po} be listed too?

Nope.  po is not copied across, and inst _is_ used to install message
catalogues.  So inst/po is quite to be expected.  (The difference is that
po contains sources of translations, and inst/po contains compiled
translations.  The naming is a bit different too (we didn't invent this).)

Probably chtml should be added to cater for Windows which (optionally)
uses it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk