[Rd] Writing R-extensions

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 27 16:23:24 CEST 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, Berwin A Turlach wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> After reading through "Writing R Extensions", Version 2.1.1
> (2005-06-20), I thought the the following points might need
> clarifications or corrections.  (I checked that these comments also
> hold for "Writing R Extensions", Version 2.2.0.)
>
> 1) When I ran "package.skeleton" recently, I noticed that the
>   DESCRIPTION file and an entry `type'.  This surprised me a bit
>   since I did not remember reading about it in the description of the
>   DESCRIPTION file.  I realised that package types are described in
>   the last section of Chapter 1 of "Writing R Extensions", but would
>   it be possible to add at the end of Section 1.1.1 (The
>   `DESCRIPTION' file) something like:
>
> The optional @samp{Type} field specifies the type of the package:
> @pxref{Package types}.

Added.  Note that section 1.1.1 is not exhaustive: other fields are
allowed.

> 3) The final sentence in the section on `Registering S3 methods' is:
>
>        Any methods for a generic defined in a package that does not
>        use a name space should be exported, and the package defining
>        and exporting the method should be attached to the search path
>        if the methods are to be found.
>
>   I wonder whether this should actually be:
>
>        Any methods for a generic defined in a package that does not
>        use a name space should be exported, and the package defining
>        and exporting the generic should be attached to the search path
>                          ^^^^^^^
>        if the methods are to be found.
>
>   Or is the implication of that sentence that if I have a package
>   with a name space which defines a method for a generic defined in
>   another package that does not use a name space, then this method
>   is only found if my package is attached to the search path and
>   mere loading of the namespace is not sufficient?

I think we need to check with the author (Luke, r23430).  If the generic
is not visible there is no dispatch and so this would be irrelevant.
Assuming a typo, your implication is what the svn log entry says and how I
read the text.

r23430 | luke | 2003-03-02 18:52:13 +0000 (Sun, 02 Mar 2003) | 3 lines

Added wording to clarify that S3method registration should only be used if
the generic is defined in a work space.
                             name?

> 4) This could be nit-picking (or just the fact that English is not my
>   native language), but the section on `Load hooks' states
>
>      Packages with name spaces do not use the @code{.First.lib}
>      function.  Since loading and attaching are distinct operations
>      when a name space is used, separate hooks are provided for each.
>      These hook functions are called @code{.onLoad} and
>      @code{.onAttach}.
>
>   I interpreted this as "o.k., loading and attaching are distinct
>   operations, if I load a package .onLoad (and only .onLoad) is run,
>   if I attach a package then .onAttach (and only .onAttach) is run".
>   But the manual continues a bit further down with
>
>      Packages are not likely to need @code{.onAttach} (except perhaps
>      for a start-up banner); code to set options and load shared
>      objects should be placed in a @code{.onLoad} function, or use
>      made of the @code{useDynLib} directive described next.
>
>   This seems to imply to me that the .onLoad is executed also if I
>   attach a package.  So should may understanding rather be "attaching
>   a package implies loading it and, hence, if I attach a package,
>   then .onLoad and .onAttach are both run (with .onLoad presumably
>   run first?)"?

Yes.  But not quite the whole story.  You cannot attach a package without
Possibly some time later the package can be attached and then .onAttach is
run.

That section is about how to write load hooks: it is not intended to be a
tutorial on namespaces.  But earlier we do have

   Like other packages, packages with name spaces are loaded and attached
   to the search path by calling @code{library}.

and library() is the only way to attach package with a name space.  (In
case anyone thinks differently, require() etc all call library.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk