[Rd] Any plans for commenting out region via something like " /* */ "?

Barry Rowlingson B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 7 13:13:25 CET 2005

Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> I don't think so. Personally, I'd rather work on getting the parser to
> behave properly in all cases on
>
> if (FALSE){
> ...lots of lines...
> }

  Including cases where "...lots of lines..." isn't syntactically correct?

e.g.

  if (FALSE) {
   if(foo){.... - do something here....
  }

You can currently make the 'if'd out bit a big string:

foo <- function(bar){
   if(FALSE){
"
Foo
if(foo){
"
   }
   return(99)
}

  - Ooh, its almost a python """string""". Of course you cant have
quotes in it, but if you have an end-block-comment signifier of any sort
you cant have that signifier in your block anyway...

[R-1.9.1 seems to want backslash continuation characters inside
multi-line quotes, R 2.0.0 doesn't]

Baz