[Rd] * creating vignettes ... ERROR

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Fri Jan 21 19:01:50 CET 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:33:25 +0100 Philippe Hupé wrote:

> Dear R developers,
>
> I had some problem when building package: for exemple when building
> the package e1071 available from CRAN, I get the following message
> error:
>
> * checking for file 'e1071/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
> * preparing 'e1071':
> * cleaning src
> * running cleanup
> * creating vignettes ... ERROR
> /usr/lib/R/bin/texi2dvi: pdflatex exited with bad status, quitting.
> /usr/lib/R/bin/texi2dvi: see svmdoc.log for errors.
> Error in texi2dvi(file = bft, pdf = TRUE, clean = FALSE, quiet =
> quiet) :
>         running texi2dvi on svmdoc.tex failed
> Execution halted

works for me

> The system I use is:
> R2.0.1 under Debian Linux (testing) with kernel 2.6.9-1-686
>
> The pdflatex version is:
> pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b-2.1
> kpathsea version 3.4.5
> Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
> Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
> covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
> the GNU General Public License.
> For more information about these matters, see the files
> named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
> Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
> Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.
>

> I attached the log file svmdoc.log.

That did not come true. But my guess is that running LaTeX is what fails
(and that the problem is neither in R nor in the Per script).

>From looking briefly at svmdoc.Rnw, it has a
  \usepackage{Sweave}
so it expects that Sweave.sty is somewhere in your search path. Is that
the case?

Furthermore, the R code in vignettes should always run, but compiling
the resulting .tex file just has to work at build time. So there are
vignettes (at least in my packages) that depend on local sty/bib/bst
files not included in the package and thus cannot be (easily) compiled
by other people.