[Rd] * creating vignettes ... ERROR

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jan 21 19:46:02 CET 2005

Achim Zeileis wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:33:25 +0100 Philippe Hupé wrote:
>

>>Dear R developers,
>>
>>I had some problem when building package: for exemple when building
>>the package e1071 available from CRAN, I get the following message
>>error:
>>
>>* checking for file 'e1071/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
>>* preparing 'e1071':
>>* cleaning src
>>* running cleanup
>>* creating vignettes ... ERROR
>>/usr/lib/R/bin/texi2dvi: pdflatex exited with bad status, quitting.
>>/usr/lib/R/bin/texi2dvi: see svmdoc.log for errors.
>>Error in texi2dvi(file = bft, pdf = TRUE, clean = FALSE, quiet =
>>quiet) :
>>        running texi2dvi on svmdoc.tex failed
>>Execution halted
>

> works for me
>

>>The system I use is:
>>R2.0.1 under Debian Linux (testing) with kernel 2.6.9-1-686
>>
>>The pdflatex version is:
>>pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b-2.1
>>kpathsea version 3.4.5
>>Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>>Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
>>covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
>>the GNU General Public License.
>>For more information about these matters, see the files
>>named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
>>Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
>>Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.
>>

>>I attached the log file svmdoc.log.
>

> That did not come true. But my guess is that running LaTeX is what fails
> (and that the problem is neither in R nor in the Per script).
>
>>From looking briefly at svmdoc.Rnw, it has a
>   \usepackage{Sweave}
> so it expects that Sweave.sty is somewhere in your search path. Is that
> the case?
>
> Furthermore, the R code in vignettes should always run, but compiling
> the resulting .tex file just has to work at build time. So there are
> vignettes (at least in my packages) that depend on local sty/bib/bst
> files not included in the package and thus cannot be (easily) compiled
> by other people.

Philippe is right. I have seen the log file and it causes the problem.
It was me who suggested to write to r-devel. The relevant lines in the
log file were:

============================
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
(format=pdflatex 2005.1.5)  19 JAN 2005 17:37
entering extended mode
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
**\nonstopmode \input /home/phupe/tmp/e1071/inst/doc/svmdoc.tex

[SNIP]

Output written on svmdoc.pdf (7 pages, 186335 bytes).

Note, this is a very modern version of pdf*e*TeX!
I don't know whether R is supposed to support it. If so, this is a bug.

Uwe Ligges