[Rd] upgrading an R installation to next versoin

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:55:06 CEST 2005

I have been thinking a bit more about the Windows R installation
upgrade discussion below and there are really two cases:

1. one wants to upgrade R and is no longer interested in preserving
the old versions of R

In this case one could configure R to have a ..\R\library folder that
contains the library and *.site files so that they do not have to be
moved each time that one upgrades R.  (The old versions of R still
access the same library and *.site files as the new versions of R
and over time its likely that they won't work any more with the old
versions of R as we start using the features of the newer R
but in this case we don't really care.)  The problem here is that
the defaults do not support this and one must set environment
variables which complicates setup.   I have some batch files
which will automatically set them although if R would automatically:
1. look into ...\R\library if it cannot find ...\R\rw...\library and
2. look for ...\R\etc\*.site if it cannot find them in ...\R\rw...\etc\*.site
this could be streamlined substantially.  The only danger in
supporting this is that anyone who used this facility would
not be preserving the identity of different versions on his
system -- although that is already true if they use R_PROFILE,
etc. since that applies to all versions too.

2. one wants to upgrade R but wants to maintain the old versions
in working order.

In this case we need to snapshot the library and *.site files so
we might as well keep them in a version-specific area, viz.
...\R\rw...\library and ...\R\rw...\etc\*.site
and then copy them over to the new version of R when that
new version is installed (so that as they change over time
with the new version the old version of R still has its older
ones).

Thus I would suggest that we:

1. by default search for ..\R\library and \R\*.site if those are not
otherwise found

2. have an option to allow or disallow the installation program to
copy over *.site
and library files from the old version to the new version (or else provide
registry information on what the old and new versions are so that one can
write a program to do it oneself)