[Rd] Computer algebra in R - would that be an idea??

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jul 17 22:57:39 CEST 2005

Ayal Pinkus <apinkus at xs4all.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>

> > R builds fine under Windows (though you need to pay attention to
> > the details
> > which are in the (binary) distribution in the pdf files, in
> > particular: `R
> > Installation and Administration Manual', a html copy is also on the
> > website;
> > and the README* and INSTALL files in src/gnuwin32/ ).  These
> > details look
> > tedious at first, and you may have to install a few things, but it
> > keeps the
> > sources closely tied between Windoze and the Unixish operating
> > systems on
> > which many of us prefer to develop.
> >

> Ok. Unfortunately I work on a Mac OS X at home (I have access to
> Windows, MS DevStudio
> at work but want to keep work and hobby separate). I do work with
> Xcode (have to
> delve deeper in to Cocoa still though). Can integration also be done
> on Mac OS X?
> If I understood correctly you go the COM route for integration on
> Windows?

Whoa! Be careful there, there is no collective "you"; this is a
mailing list.

Søren, Dirk, Gabor, and I are four quite distinct people, and at least
Dirk and I are Linux people who would rather not touch COM...
Especially not when there's a perfectly fine library embedding method
available. This approach usually works across all platforms although
Windows and Macs tend to require a few extra twists. (I'm not up to
speed on Macs. I gather that OS X managed to mess up dynamic linking
somewhat but I believe it has all been sorted. You should probably
have a peek at the MacOSX FAQ at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html and the page
http://www.economia.unimi.it/R)

> CrystalSpace is a 3d engine that has a COM simulation layer for Unix-
> style platforms
> I think (last time I looked was a few years back). It would
> essentially be a thin layer
> to implementations of abstract classes.
>
> I did download R for Mac OS X. It is quite a nice package! I wish I
> had looked at it earlier.
> You did a very good job on the user interface.

...and Stefano and Simon who were the main players in this development
are yet another different "you".

> > Allow me to add that this sounds very exciting.
>
> I agree!
>
> I am working on a Java port at the moment. I will try to make some
> time later this evening
> or perhaps somewhere this week.

Sounds good. I wish I had more time for this, but there's a deadline
approaching...