[Rd] Connection Programming API (was: R 2.1.0 scheduled for April 18)

Jan T. Kim jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk
Thu Mar 3 15:05:09 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:35:51PM +0100, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> The release schedule has now been set with a release date on April 18.
>
> The detailed procedure can be found at http://developer.r-project.org/
> (it is not quite there yet, but will appear after a short propagation
> delay.)

Are there any plans on providing an API that would allow packages to
create and handle connections, before the "grand feature freeze"?

The reason I ask is that I recently submitted a patch that adds
filtering data through pipes to the core code. I had to write this
as a patch because connection handling is done in a static array
in src/main/connections.c and there is no API allowing packages to
operate on that array.

Will R 2.1.0 include filtering? And perhaps also forking, while we're
at this?

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk at cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |