[Rd] Use of htest class for different tests

Torsten Hothorn Torsten.Hothorn at rzmail.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Mar 14 13:43:32 CET 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Gorjanc Gregor wrote:

> Hello!
>
> First of all I must appologize if this has been raised previously, but
> search provided by Robert King at the University of Newcastle seems to
> be down these days. Additionally let me know if such a question should
> be sent to R-help.
>
> I did a contribution to function hwe.hardy in package 'gap' during the
> weekend. That functions performs Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium test using
> MCMC. The return of the function does not have classical components for
> htest class so I was afcourse not successfull in using it. However, I
> managed to copy and modify some part of print.htest to accomplish the
> same task.
>
> Now my question is what to do in such cases? Just copy parts of
> print.htest and modify for each test or anything else. Are such cases
> rare? If yes, then mentioned approach is probably the easiest.

you can use print.htest directly for the components which _are_ elements
of objects of class `htest' and provide your one print method for all
others. If your class `foo' (essentially) extends `htest', a
simple version of `print.foo' could by

print.foo <- function(x, ...) {

   # generate an object of class `htest'
   y <- x
   class(y) <- "htest"
   # maybe modify some thinks like y$method
   # print y using `print.htest' without copying code
   print(y)

   # and now print additional information
   cat(x$whatsoever)

}