Alpha releases Re: [Rd] trouble building r-devel

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 22 10:01:18 CET 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> <Mark.Bravington at csiro.au> writes:
>
>> I haven't been able to build yesterday's R-devel (or, as a test,
>> R-devel_2005-03-11) on Windows XP. The error message I'm getting is to
>> do with 'arithmetic.c', as shown below.
>
> Apropos: The release process for 2.1.0 has now started and we are
> putting up alpha tarballs in (e.g.)
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/base-prerelease/R-alpha_2005-03-22.tar.gz
>
> These tarballs are made using the same procedure as we intend to use
> for the final release. It would be good if you'd try building from
> these sources (rather than the daily snapshots) so that we may catch
> any packaging errors in time.

It would also be good if people would read the documentation that the
INSTALL file points them to.  This whole thread is about things which are
documented in the R-admin manual.  E.g.

> You need a recent version of the Mingw port of @code{gcc} from
(MB's error was in not using a recent mingw-runtime, rather than the
compiler per se, but the runtime is part of the port.  gcc 3.4.2 is
definitely an official compiler release.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk