[Rd] edit(vignette(...))

Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 22 18:15:48 CET 2005

  > I have been looking at edit(vignette(...)) in r-devel, which I think
  > will be really useful for people working through vignettes. Is there a
  > way to fork the editor so that the R prompt is returned?
  > The call seems
  > to be passed though to edit.file, but I don't see any simple way to get
  > the prompt back until the editor is closed.  (I seem to recall there was
  > a problem with the prompt returning too soon from bug.report some
  > time ago.)

On windows it does work, if you use the default internal editor. I
played a little bit with file.edit on Unix, but the problem is that
you know much less about the system, a lot of shells and editors could
possibly be involved ... maybe there is a simple solution, but I
failed to see it back then. Probably file.edit() could do with a
"background" argument.

  > I also noticed that many (most?) packages have a vignette with the same
  > name as the package. Is this considered the standard now?

No, probably most authors are to lazy too invent another name, and of
course it also makes it easier for the user to remember the name of
the vignette ... but we have not written down any standard.

.f