[Rd] NaN and linear algebra

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Wed Mar 23 14:06:33 CET 2005

On 23/03/2005, at 7:04 PM, Martin Maechler wrote:
> I pretty much entirely agree with your points, Bill, and would
> tend to declare that this Apple library is ``broken''
> for building a correctly running R.

Thanks for that.

> Let me ask one question I've been wondering about now for a
> while:
>
>   Did you run "make check" after building R,
>   and "make check" ran to completion without an error?

The thought occurred to me as well.  So I tried to run it, but I could
not get it to run.  It was a couple of months ago I built this version
of R, and maybe I trashed something.   Time ran out, and I had to go
and earn a living.

I will try again, and report the results.

> If yes (which I doubt quite a bit), there *is* a bug in R's
> quality control / quality assurance tools -- and I would want to
> add a check for the misbehavior you've mentioned.

I would also be surprised if it runs without error.

I don't really understand LAPACK enough.  I started reading and trying
to work out how to produce test cases which I could submit to Apple as
a bug or bugs.

Bill