[Rd] NaN and linear algebra

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Wed Mar 23 18:51:57 CET 2005

On 23/mar/05, at 09:04, Martin Maechler wrote:

> [...]
> arithmetic
>     Bill> should be robust and programs should not halt on these sorts
> of errors.
>>>
>>> I don't consider the `solve' error a bug - in fact I would rather get
>>> an error telling me that something is wrong (although I agree that
>>> the
>>> error is misleading - the error given in Linux is a bit more helpful)
>>> than getting a wrong result.
>
>     Bill> You may prefer the error, but it is not in the sprit of
> robust
>     Bill> arithmetic. ie
>>> d<-matrix(NaN,3,3)
>>> f<-solve(d)
>     Bill> Error in solve.default(d) : Lapack routine dgesv: system is
> exactly
>     Bill> singular
>     Bill> Error: Object "f" not found
>
>>> If I would mark something in your example as a bug that would be
>>> det(m)=0, because it should return NaN (remember, NaN==NaN is FALSE;
>>> furthermore if det was calculated inefficiently using Laplace
>>> expansion, the result would be NaN according to IEEE rules). det=0 is
>>> consistent with the error given, though. Should we check this in R
>>> before calling Lapack - if the vector contains NaNs, det/determinant
>>> should return NaN right away?
>
>     Bill> Clearly det(d) returning 0 is wrong.  As a result based on a
>     Bill> computation including a NaN, it should return NaN.  The
> spirit of
>     Bill> IEEE-754 is that the programmer should choose the
> appropriate point at
>     Bill> which to check for NaNs.  I would interpret this to mean the
>     Bill> programmer not the R library developer.  Surely that is why
> R provides
>     Bill> the is.nan function.

>     Bill> [,1] [,2] [,3]
>     Bill> [1,]  NaN  NaN  NaN
>     Bill> [2,]  NaN  NaN  NaN
>     Bill> [3,]  NaN  NaN  NaN
>>> is.nan(solve(d))
>     Bill> Error in solve.default(d) : Lapack routine dgesv: system is
> exactly
>     Bill> singular
>
>     Bill> This is against the spirit of IEEE-754 because it halts the
> program.
>
>>> is.nan(det(d))
>     Bill> [1] FALSE
>
>     Bill> That is plain wrong.
>

>>> Many functions in R will actually bark at NaN inputs (e.g. qr, eigen,
>>> ...) - maybe you're saying that we should check for NaNs in solve
>>> before proceeding and raising an error?
>
>     Bill> However, this problem is in the Apple library not R.
>
>     Bill> Bill Northcott
>
> Indeed!
>
> I pretty much entirely agree with your points, Bill, and would
> tend to declare that this Apple library is ``broken''
> for building a correctly running R.
>
> Let me ask one question I've been wondering about now for a
> while:
>
>   Did you run "make check" after building R,
>   and "make check" ran to completion without an error?

Martin,
the use vecLib was (since now?) the suggested way to build R on OS X
with blas support.
This is the way OS X binaries are distributed and of course they pass
make check (I've checked again just now and both 2.0.0 and r-devel pass
make check) so probably the NaN is a special case with don't test for
LAPACK?
stefano