[Rd] rw2010alpha

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 24 17:41:44 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:33:24 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
<ggrothendieck at myway.com> wrote :

>Until recently R 2.1.0 was called rw2010dev.  I just visited
>
>   http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html
>
>and noticed its now called rw2010alpha, not rw2010dev.  I would like
>to use it without downloading all the libraries over again.
>
>Can I
>
>- just rename my rw2010dev folder (Windows XP) to
>  rw2010alpha and then install rw2010alpha to that?  or
>
>- install it in a separate rw2010alpha folder, distinct
>  from the rw2010dev folder and then somehow copy the libraries
>  from one to the other? or
>
>- do I have to download the libraries all over again? or
>
>- some other solution?

I suspect renaming the folder would not work because the install
registers the DCOM server.  Copying the libraries might be okay, if
you then did a regular install of a package to update all the indices,
but there might be some other detail I missed.

Probably the easiest thing to do is to install the new one on top of
the old rw2010dev, by changing the default install directory when you
run rw2010alpha.exe.

The safest thing is to install to a new folder and download all the
packages again, because then you won't have any files installed which
shouldn't be there.

Duncan Murdoch