[Rd] CRAN website: link targets

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 25 11:06:05 CET 2005

This is R-devel, not the feedback page for CRAN/www.r-project.org.

R webpages do not AFAICS.  www.r-project.org may, but that is not R.

>  and CRAN webpages use HTML frames for layout. Links to files such as PDF
> are therefore opened within frame. However, with PDFs this can be distracting

That is a function of your browser settings, not part of the WWW standard.
Other settings open files in the assigned PDF reader.

> if you have a small monitor, since left frame can be small for viewing PDFs
> with bookmark toolbar in the left in Acrobat Reader. It isn't such a bug
> problem with others i.e. (K)Ghostview etc, but it can be still small to look
> at.
>
> I suggest to add targets to all links to PDF files. If one wants to see that
> link will be opened in new frame/tab then target="_blank" should used,
> otherwise target="_top" will cause that PDF will be opened "over all frames"
> of current website.

A decent browser will allow you the choice of opening in the frame, in a
new tab/window or in the application (here the PDF reader).  If yours does
not, try a better browser (e.g. Firefox).

What I do think is desirable is for *off-site* HTML links (e.g. for the
mailing lists) to use target="_top".  That is certainly what my O'Reilly
HTML book recommends.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk