[Rd] RFC: API to allow identification of warnings and errors in the output stream

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 17 19:35:56 CEST 2005

Dear R developers,

this mail is basically a summary / clarification of some previous mails I sent
to this list last week (subject "Catching warning and error output"). Duncan
Murdoch pointed out that these were badly organized, and suggested I repost,
collecting the main points previously spread out between several mails.

Problem statement:
In an application embedding R, I would like to identify warnings and errors in
the output stream. That is, basically, I'm looking for a good way to find
out, which portions of the output stream are warnings, which are error
messages, and which are regular output. Such information could be used in a
GUI to mark up different types of output in different colors, or to ensure
warnings are brought to the user's attention in situations where output would
normally be hidden.
I believe this is not currently possible in a good way. For a discussion of
approaches using the current API, and their drawbacks, refer to
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2005-October/034975.html.

Suggested solution:
Here are two patches (against R-2.2.0), which I will describe in more detail
below:
A) http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/classify_output_patch.diff
B) http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/classify_output_test.diff

Description of and rationale for patch A:
This patch does two things:
1) It adds a function R_WriteErrConsole corresponding to R_WriteConsole. Also,
a corresponding interface pointer ptr_R_WriteErrConsole is added.
I think this change is highly consistent with output handling in R in general.
There are different sink ()s for "output" and "message", there is the
distinction between Rprintf/Rvprintf and REprintf/REvprintf. This basically
just carries this distinction over to the interface pointers.
You will note that I wrote
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole = R_WriteConsole;
instead of
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole = Rstd_WriteErrConsole;
or
ptr_R_WriteErrConsole = ptr_R_WriteConsole;
This way, code that currently overrides ptr_R_WriteConsole, but does not know
about ptr_R_WriteErrConsole, will still receive all output in
ptr_R_WriteConsole. Hence this change is perfectly backwards compatible.
Of course, the naming may not be perfect?

2) While 1 makes it easy to split warning _and_ errors (and messages) from
regular output, it does not suffice to differentiate _between_ warnings,
errors, and messages on the error channel. The patch addresses this, by
making inError, inWarning, and inPrintWarnings from errors.c accessible
(read-only) in R_ext/Error.h.
This part of the patch may be slightly more delicate, in that inError,
inWarning, and inPrintWarnings seem to be more internal status indications.
So the question is: Are those potentially subject to change, if errors.c is
redesigned some day? My feeling is that this is still relatively safe,
however. Such indications can easily be set/unset at entry/exit points of the
corresponding functions, as long as there are separate handlers for warnings,
errors, and printWarnings. I guess this is not likely to ever change
fundamentally.
As a slightly safer variation, R_inError (), R_inWarning (), and
R_inPrintWarnings () could return a boolean indication only, instead of the
int-code, which might be more subject to change.

Description of and rationale for patch B:
Patch B probably helps a lot to illustrate, how patch A works, and how this is
useful. It adds an example to tests/embedding/. This example basically just
generates a number of different types of messages, then catches the output,
and classifies it into several categories.

I'll gladly provide more explanations or a different format of patches if
needed.

Looking forward to your comments
Thomas Friedrichsmeier