[Rd] pairs(oma) warnings (PR#8252)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 26 08:08:14 CEST 2005

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 arnima at u.washington.edu wrote:

> Unlike R 2.1.1, version 2.2.0 generates warnings when an 'oma' argument as
> passed to pairs():
>
>  A <- rnorm(100)
>  B <- rnorm(100)
>  pairs(cbind(A,B))                    # no warning
>  pairs(cbind(A,B), oma=c(6,8,10,12))  # warnings in R 2.2.0
>
> I think pairs() should draw the plot quietly, without warnings. Can't see
> anything in the documentation indicating that an 'oma' argument should not
> be passed in this way.

Yes, but they are only warnings.  oma is actually mentioned in the docs

My complaint is that they ever occur, in this case from axis which says

      ...: other graphical parameters may also be passed as arguments to
           this function, particularly, 'cex.axis', 'col.axis' and
           'font.axis' for axis annotation, 'mgp' and 'xaxp' or 'yaxp'
           for positioning, 'tck' or 'tcl' for tick mark length and
           direction, 'las' for vertical/horizontal label orientation,
           or 'fg' instead of 'col', see 'par' on these.

and does not say which or that others cannot be so passed.

Fixed in R-patched but not mentioned in NEWS as this is so minor.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk